Responsible for overseeing quality within all levels within the organization, suppliers, and customer to resolve and prevent Food Safety or Quality issues. This position analyzes and validates data to support the production of safe products that meet the established quality standards.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities
This list of duties and responsibilities is not all inclusive and may be expanded to include other duties and responsibilities, as management may deem necessary from time to time.
- Oversee SQF Certification for multiple facilities – development, implementation, maintenance, and audits.
- Work directly with manufacturing plants to establish and facilitate process capabilities and statistical knowledge to improve product conformance, specification development, and specification rationalization with customers.
- Provide technical leadership as the product and customer quality specialist to resolve internal and external Quality Defects and Complaints.
- Manage customer complaints, trending, investigations and improvement.
- Match finished product specifications with manufacturing capabilities during Product Development, and on-going Production.
- Partner with R&D, Operations, Maintenance, Sanitation, and Continuous Improvement at both the plants to drive customer satisfaction
- Implementation and improvement of plant food safety and quality systems, environmental monitoring, sanitation, and supplier approval programs to ensure compliance with company policies, regulatory compliance, and industry best practices.
- Provide guidelines to QA Team Leads in each site about how to collect, analyze and interpret in-process and analytical data to improve product quality.
- Partner with Plant Manager and production Managers to collaborate on Quality Improvement Programs and develop management KPI’s for tracking improvement progress.
- Accomplishes staff results by communicating job expectations; planning, monitoring, and appraising job results; coaching, counseling, and disciplining employees; initiating, coordinating, and enforcing systems, policies, and procedures.
- Maintains professional and technical knowledge by attending educational workshops; reviewing professional publications; establishing personal networks; benchmarking state-of-the-art practices; participating in professional societies.
- Takes responsibility of work area to produce a safe and quality food product. Reports all food safety related problems to your manager and to the QA dept in order to initiate immediate action.
- Completes other duties and projects as assigned by the department manager, including but not limited to; process improvements, cost savings, and efficiencies.
- In the event that the person in this position is absent, he/she will be replaced by a person properly trained to perform such duties.
To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skill, and/or ability required. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
- Requires A BS degree in food science, biology, or chemistry; 5-7+ years of food manufacturing experience, preferably in a lab or QA Leadership capacity
- Requires a thorough understanding of GMP’s, HACCP and SQF guidelines, Preferred certifications: HACCP, SQF, Internal Auditor.
- Requires the ability to communicate with others, the need to read, write, speak and understand the English language
- Ability to work independently and with teams; actively engage across the organization
- Sound analytical and investigative skills with ability to build partnerships based on trust and integrity.
- Ability to compile, analyze and interpret data to make sound decisions
- Requires Project Management and management of change abilities.
- Action oriented and inquisitive, Self-Starter and desire to take on new challenges
- Proficiency in knowledge of regulatory compliance i.e. USDA (preferred), FDA, and GFSI (BRC or SQF (preferred)) compliance.
- Knowledge of USDA labeling compliance and policy.
- Knowledge of sanitary design analysis and approval of new equipment.
- Requires specific knowledge of internet programs, spreadsheet and word processing software, this employee should have basic typing abilities. This position also requires knowledge of operation of a fax, copy machine, printer, phone/voice mail, and other basic office equipment.
Based on experience