Why Sheboygan County?
It is imperative to remain an inclusive workplace. Sheboygan County is committed to attracting, supporting, and retaining a culturally diverse workforce that represents our community. Our team seeks a motivated professional who wants to use their talents and skills to make a difference. Becoming a member of our growing team also means that YOU become our top priority. You will not only enjoy a dynamic work environment but a variety of perks including but not limited to the following:
What to expect:
As an integral part of the team, the Staff Accountant assumes responsibility for performing complex accounting procedures relating to department specific and countywide financial activities, ensuring the integrity of the County’s financial system. The core responsibilities include but are not limited to the following:
- Generous benefits package and access to our free InHealth Clinic
- Time off: 15 vacation days, sick time and 10 paid holidays
- Other perks: Referral program, Wisconsin Retirement System, education discount and much more!
The successful candidate will meet the following requirements:
Four-year degree in Accounting, Business Administration or equivalent. Two years or more of experience in the accounting field with an emphasis on cost and financial analysis or any combination of education and work experience which provides the necessary knowledge, skills and abilities as noted below.
- Provide professional and technical assistance as needed; JD Edwards application support includes module development and expertise, staff training, help desk monitoring as requested and system upgrade assistance
- Assist in the review and audit of County accounting systems; identify areas of weakness and assist in development of appropriate solutions
- Develop and execute consistent accounting practices throughout county financial systems; apply payroll rules/policies, and federal/state rules and regulations to department and/or construction projects as necessary and implement financial policy established by the Deputy Finance Director and/or Finance Director
- Maintain multiple inventory counts and departmental inventory of fixed assets including periodic physical inventories to assure existence, location and condition of assets as reflected on fixed asset inventory
- Create/maintain project budget and job cost analysis as necessary for supported departments; assist in capital budget and annual budget preparation, review and provide assistance with quarterly and annual budget variance reports, proper expenditure coding and other accounting and operational related activities
- Assist in the preparation of statements, reports, and analysis; monthly State and municipal invoices and statements, monthly and year-end financial statements (journal entries and reconciling general ledger accounts), quarterly and annual reports to state agencies, financial and cost analysis as requested
- Maintain & monitor agency accounts, including patient and inmate funds
- Prepare schedules as directed by the Deputy Finance Director in preparation of the County’s Comprehensive Annual Financial Report; assist in grant monitoring and produce financial information for completion of audits
- Present and explain financial information to County Board Supervisors, Administrator and various staff
Applications will be accepted through 5pm on Monday, May 23rd 2022.
- Ability to comprehend, convey, and comply with federal, state, and county regulations and governmental accounting standards
- Considerable knowledge of common office application, particularly MS Office applications; expertise in Excel and competency in word processing and presentation software
- Strong communication skills with ability to effectively communicate (orally and in writing), as well as establish and maintain positive working relationships
- Ability to work collaboratively and independently demonstrating good judgement, courtesy, confidentiality, and integrity; demonstrate reliability and resourcefulness
- Carry out complex instructions; must be adaptable to change and possess analytical and problem-solving skills