1. High school diploma or equivalent.
2. Custodial training or work experience with custodial duties.
3. Experience or training with hand and power tools.
4. Knowledge and ability to operate boilers, heating and ventilating equipment.
5. Ability to set up and operate all floor/carpet cleaning equipment, lawn mowers, and snow removal equipment.
6. Ability to demonstrate and perform minimal servicing skills in troubleshooting of plumbing and electrical systems.
7. Mechanically inclined, with the ability to perform minor repairs.
8. Ability to communicate with building principal, staff, students, and others.
9. Ability to work as a team member.
10. Conflict resolution ability.
11. Demonstration of being reliable and dependable based on attendance.
12. Experience related to working with minimal supervision, being a self-starter, and taking the initiative.
13. Available to work additional hours including special events, weekend events, and building checks.
14. Able to lift forty (40) pounds overhead, unassisted and able to work in confined spaces or elevated positions (scaffold, extension ladders, etc.).
a. Knowledge of and ability to use hand and power tools.
b. Dry and wet mop floors, entranceways, and stairs.
c. Vacuum and shampoo carpets.
d. Remove and clean entrance mats.
e. Unload food containers for hot lunch programs and set up and take down cafeteria tables.
f. Dispose of garbage, waste paper, and other materials from each floor to the dumpster area.
g. Unload supplies that are delivered by truck.
h. Replace washers and diaphragms in washroom fixtures.
i. Mount towel boxes and soap dispensers.
j. Other minor repairs throughout the building.
k. Oil and tighten all door hinges and other repairs.
l. Turn out lights and lock the building in your section.
m. Wash, replace, and relamp classroom fluorescent fixtures.
n. Change outside lights mounted on the building using extension ladders.
o. Set up scaffolding in the gym, or other areas, for cleaning ceiling and beams, washing fixtures and replacement of indoor and outdoor lights.
p. Substitute for the head custodian or night foreman when requested.
q. Attend in-service training sessions.
Upkeep of Grounds:
a. Paper clean-up around the building and athletic field.
b. Cut and trim the grass.
c. Pruning and watering of shrubs and trees.
d. Cultivate around shrubs and trees.
e. Shovel snow. Sand and salt sidewalks and drives.
a. Set up equipment for school activities and building rentals on weekdays and weekends and for the Community Recreation Department activities.
b. Clean up in gym and locker rooms after basketball games, dances, and other rental activities.
c. Set up bleachers in the gym for activities and equipment in other areas of the building when requested.
The functions listed above are intended to describe some of the major responsibilities and level of work being performed by employees assigned to this classification. They are not to be construed as an all-inclusive list of the job duties performed by personnel so classified. Other duties may be assigned by the head custodian or building principal.
The hours for the position are eight hours per day, approximately 2:30 to 10:30 p.m., Monday through Friday. Summer hours may differ. The starting rate for this position is $15.20 per hour.
Applications will be accepted only through the Wisconsin Education Career Access Network (WECAN). Go to: https://wecan.education.wisc.edu/#/Employer/3479/Vacancies/2 to view the vacancy and to submit your application materials by 11:59 p.m. on March 25, 2021.