Job Title: Course Taker General Advisor (Part-Time | Grant Funded)
Salary Expectation: $24.44 per hour
(Note: Salary will commensurate based on education and occupational experience)
Reports To: Student Success Coordinator
Location: Lakeshore Technical College – Cleveland, Wisconsin
Employment and Work Schedule: 20 hours per week x 52 weeks (1,040 Annual Hours)
Monday through Friday
Flexible day/evening hours based upon needs of the college
Assists in the development and delivery of services in academic advising and career exploration, serving as the primary contact for course-taker students (defined as students enrolled in credit courses but not program enrolled). Responsible for building relationships, maintaining contact, and transitioning students into LTC programs or external transfer. Provide assessment and guidance to students through career development activities.
• Advise new and current students regarding course content, course selection, prerequisites, recommended credit load, advanced standing process, registration, and admissions.
• Advise students regarding transferability of courses to and from Lakeshore Technical College.
• Resolve student questions or concerns on academic policies, procedures and standards.
• Respond to student concerns/problems by advising or referring students to appropriate resources.
• Provide career and employment resource services; assist students in the pursuit of career goals including decision making, college choices, and targeting jobs using a variety of resources appropriate to the students’ needs.
• Implement career assessments, informational interviews, and personal consultations to assist students in identifying career goals.
• Complete activity reports for retention, tracking and accountability purposes.
• Monitor progression of assigned students through the enrollment cycle.
• Actively encourage and assist students with LTC scholarships, emergency grants and other sources of funding.
• Provide information to students regarding occupational training programs and the admissions process, program requirements, and other LTC services.
• Provide information regarding Financial Aid processes if interested in transitioning to a program.
• Provide Five Star Customer Service throughout every interaction. Other duties as assigned.
Carryout managerial responsibilities in accordance with the organizational policies and applicable laws to include: address issues in an effective and timely manner; be an active advocate for LTC in the community; be active in the college by serving on committees; and provide support for grant initiatives as required.
• Bachelor’s degree or equivalent in a discipline related to student success required. Master’s degree in related field preferred.
• Two to four years of recent related occupational experience in academic advising, career services, or employment resources required, three to five years of related experience preferred.
• Extensive knowledge of the scope and nature of programs and courses offered by the college.
• Strong knowledge of careers, opportunities post-completion, and outcomes for all programs.
• Working knowledge of college enrollment management tools and financial aid processes.
• Must have highly developed written and oral communication skills.
• Strong customer service, organizational and time management skills.
• Ability to think independently and make decisions with the scope of the role with minimal supervision.
• Ability to adapt quickly to change and succeed in a fast paced, metric driven position.
• Must be able to plan and set goals and motivate.
• Exemplify college values in all staff and student interactions, as well as services delivered.
• Ability to establish and maintain effective working relationships and relate successfully with staff, students, and citizens of diverse cultural, social or educational backgrounds.
• Fluent, bilingual individual is beneficial.
*Note: Meeting the minimum requirements does not guarantee an interview for a position.
Condition of Employment
• Employment conditional on completion of a Background Information Disclosure (BID) and the results acceptable to the College.
Beginning: Monday, November 18, 2019
Closing: Applications will be accepted online until the position is filled; however, to ensure full consideration, application materials should be submitted for receipt no later than Monday, December 2, 2019.
Online Application Process
The LTC online employment application must be completed in its entirety to be considered for a position at Lakeshore Technical College. To access the online application, visit www.gotoltc.edu, navigate to ‘Just for You’ and click on ‘Job Seekers’, choose ‘View Employment Opportunities’ to create an account login and to apply for the position. For additional assistance, please contact Human Resources.