Flexible hours based upon the needs of the college
Lakeshore Technical College – Cleveland, Wisconsin
Provide teaching assistance to students within Fire Service Training courses. Assist the lead instructor with delivery of skills and performance assessments. Designed primarily to support the skills development of students in the lab setting.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities include the following. Other duties may be assigned.
(75%) Classroom/Lab Operations
• Monitor classroom/laboratory, enforce school policies, present and follow safety procedures.
• Promote a learning atmosphere in the arenas and on the training grounds, that encourages effective work habits and provides a safe, clean, and orderly physical environment.
• Serve as a resource person for students.
• Assist with setup and take down of fire training building and props.
• Maintain classroom/laboratory/training environment emphasizing good housekeeping, equipment security, and safety.
• Monitor conditions of facilities and equipment and refer those needing maintenance.
(20%) Instructional Assistance
• Provide student reinforcement training and individualized tutoring by assisting students in mastering firefighting techniques.
• Assess student affective performance, assess student cognitive performance, assess student psychomotor performance, assess students' ability to integrate skills, and validate students' performance of firefighting skills and exercises.
• Provide feedback to students and the Fire Service Instructor about problems/progress encountered during training.
• Provide the Fire Service Instructor with informational feedback regarding student activities.
• Assist the Fire Service Instructor with the maintenance of student records.
• Suggest materials and equipment for requisition.
• Communicate with students, the college, division, and team members, and meet response deadlines as required.
• Provide an exceptional customer service experience to both internal and external customers throughout every interaction.
To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skill, and/or ability required. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
Education, Experience and/or Certificates, Licenses, Registration:
• Possess the experience, education, and training in subject area being taught and currently competent in area expected to teach. Experience with a career or volunteer fire department is beneficial.
• Must meet Wisconsin Technical College System (WTCS) certification requirements.
• Teaching experience desirable.
• Must possess WTCS Certified Firefighter 2 and WTCS Entry Level Driver Operator or Certified Fire Apparatus Driver Operator Pumper. Two years of recent volunteer or career firefighting experience required. Valid State of Wisconsin driver's license is required.
Other Skills and Abilities:
• Must be technology literate as defined by department/division.
• Working knowledge of Microsoft Word and Excel.
• Ability to plan, organize, and instruct quality educational programs.
• Ability to communicate effectively with adult learners and to maintain good relationships with staff and students.
• Ability to work collaboratively with teams and college staff for continuous improvement.
• Ability to exercise individual initiative, independent action and sound judgment.
• Exemplify college values in all staff and student interactions, as well as services delivered.
• Ability to establish and maintain effective working relationships and relate successfully with staff, students, and people of diverse cultural, social, or educational backgrounds.
• Fluent, bilingual individual is beneficial.
Ability to read, analyze, and interpret general business periodicals, professional journals, technical procedures, or governmental regulations. Ability to write reports, business correspondence, and procedures manuals. Ability to effectively present information and respond to questions from groups of managers, clients, customers, and the general public.
Ability to add, subtract, multiply, and divide in all units of measure, using whole numbers, common fractions, and decimals. Ability to compute rate, ratio, and percent and to draw and interpret bar graphs.
Ability to apply commonsense understanding to carry out instructions furnished in written, oral, or diagram form.
Be familiar with basic hardware, navigate through Windows, Uue PowerPoint or similar presentation technology, manage Word files, set-up and use a lap top and printer, send and receive attachments, use email to communicate, and navigate through the Internet.
Physical Demands/Work Environment:
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
While performing the duties of this job, the employee is regularly required to talk or hear. The employee frequently is required to walk; sit; and use hands to finger, handle, or feel. The employee is occasionally required to stand; reach with hands and arms; climb or balance; and stoop, kneel, crouch, or crawl. The employee must occasionally lift and/or move up to 10 pounds.
The work environment characteristics described here are representative of those an employee encounters while performing the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
The noise level in the work environment is usually moderate.
The above duties describe the chief functions of the job and are not to be considered a detailed description of every duty of the job.
Conditions of Employment:
Date Updated: 02/212022
Type of Position: Part Time Position