The Applications Engineer provides packaging equipment component and integration design. They are a liaison between customers, sales, engineering and project management teams. This person will utilize customer input and sales information to develop, test and implement system design. They will provide technical support and expertise to customers, internal departments. They will also test and ensure adequate system applications, respond to customer feedback, and often perform presentations and demonstrations.
- Education generally equivalent to a (2-4) year degree in Engineering, Product Management, or related discipline; or equivalent experience and specialized training
- 3-5 years of applications experience or equivalent
- Strong verbal and written communication skills to effectively communicate design
- Ability to use various precision measuring instruments
- Ability to use Microsoft Office software, AutoCAD, SolidWorks, PDM, and ERP systems
- Strong attention to detail and high level of accuracy and accountability
- Highly disciplined problem-solver
- Ability to prioritize competing tasks in a fast-paced environment
Job Duties & Responsibilities
- Provides complete, accurate packaging system design solutions.
- Responsible for signing off on the performance of systems.
- Communicates integral design intent to other departments/functions.
- Coordinates packaging equipment mechanical & electrical components.
- Reviews “Requests for Quote” (RFQs) from Outside and Inside Sales.
- Liaison between Sales and Engineering.
- Responsible for vendor qualifying.
- Obtains quotations from vendors.
- Accurately and consistently applies engineering and manufacturing standards.
- Collects systems documentation, such as BOMs, part drawings, assembly drawings, and schematics.
- Provides support services relating to packaging equipment integration.
- Provides OEM equipment and commercial item specification.
- Performs sizing and optimization analysis for making design recommendations.
- Defines and carry out testing to determine relevance of a given design to a customer’s need or product design.
- Performs sizing calculations or other analytics as needed in the design or modification of packaging equipment.
- Administers engineering activities of projects from concept to implementation.
- Attend trade shows as an applications resource.
- Occasionally travel on company business as needed.