The Mechanical Designer provides high-level packaging equipment component and systems design services to facilitate the manufacture, assembly and commissioning of packaging equipment.
- Education generally equivalent to a (2) year degree in a Mechanical Design program, or related discipline or equivalent experience and specialized training
- 0 to 3 years of mechanical design and documentation experience.
- Strong oral and written communication skills to effectively communicate design
- Ability to use various precision measuring instruments
- Ability to use Microsoft Office software, AutoCAD, SolidWorks, PDM, and ERP systems
- Strong attention to detail and high level of accuracy and accountability
- Ability to prioritize competing tasks in a fast-paced environment
Job Duties & Responsibilities
- Performs and/or coordinates packaging equipment mechanical component and mechanical systems design services.
- Accurately and consistently applies engineering and manufacturing standards.
- Creates and maintains mechanical component and systems documentation, such as BOMs, spares, flow charts, part drawings, assembly drawings, and schematics.
- Provides support services relating to packaging equipment fabrication, assembly, checkout and start-up.
- Provides OEM equipment and commercial item specification.
- Provides creative and accurate design solutions.
- Performs sizing and optimization analysis for making design recommendations.
- Defines and carries out testing to determine relevance of a given design to a customer’s need or product design.
- Manages or sustains design catalogs.
- Performs strength, sizing calculations or other analytical techniques as needed in the design or modification of packaging equipment.
- Communicates mechanical design intent to other departments/functions, ensuring that their requirements are fulfilled in the mechanical design.
- Communicates with other departments/functions to resolve conflicts, deal with issues, and incorporate suggestion/decisions into mechanical designs.
- Obtains quotations from vendors and parts set-up in ERP system.
- Produces timely and detailed reports.
- Understands packaging machines and process.
- Attends trade shows as a technical resource.