PURPOSE AND SUMMARY
The Director of Clinical Services assumes authority, responsibility, and accountability for the delivery of clinical and nursing services in the facility. This position is responsible for the overall operation of the nursing department in accordance with current medical and nursing practices and procedures as well as applicable federal, state and local regulations. Using an interdisciplinary team (IDT) approach, the Director of Clinical Services will assure that the highest degree of quality resident care is maintained at all times.
The Director of Clinical Services ensures that quality staff are hired and retained throughout the facility while meeting both resident and fiscal needs. Primary contact for physician services and ancillary care services such as lab, pharmacy, x-ray and therapy.
Under the supervision of the Rocky Knoll Administrator in consultation with the Medical Director, is responsible for the operations of the Clinical Services and Nursing Department at Rocky Knoll Health Care Center. Acts as backup to Administrator in their absence.
1. Demonstrates high level leadership, authority, responsibility and accountability of directing the nursing services department.
2. Direct the development, implementation, and maintenance of departmental policies and procedures to meet all current regulations and uphold the mission of the facility.
3. Review policies and procedures as necessary, at least annually, and address needed changes long with recommended modifications with the Administrator and IDT team to assure compliance with current regulations.
4. Collaborates with staff, residents, resident’s family members, clinical partners, referral agencies, and the community to develop strong working relationships.
5. Promote and support a strong sense of “teamwork” with clinical staff and with all departments within the organization to provide resident-centered care.
6. Responsible for recruitment and retention initiatives for the nursing department. Generate new ideas for referrals and overall recruitment initiatives.
7. Assess, develop, and implement employee retention and engagement strategies.
8. Coach, mentor, and develop staff to work to the best of their abilities in providing the highest quality of care to our residents.
9. Develop, facilitate and implement professional education programs and in-services to enhance the clinical skills of the nursing staff.
10. Coordinate and direct the administration of clinical and technical competency assessments for nursing personnel. Collaborate with Administrator to ensure those changes and needs are delivered and completed.
11. Review assessments to evaluate the effectiveness of educational programs and identify educational needs and areas for improvement.
12. Counsel, discipline and terminate nursing personnel as requested or as is necessary, in coordination with the Administrator and Human Resources.
13. Plan, coordinate and implement the Infection Control and Antibiotic Stewardship programs in coordination with or the absence of an Infection Preventionist.
14. Participate in and coordinate QAPI functions in conjunction with Administrator, Medical Director, and the IDT.
15. Develop, implement, and assess Quality improvement plans for the nursing department.
16. Participates in the development and implementation of resident care plans, resident assessments and discharge planning.
17. Evaluate nursing service needs, establish staffing requirements and periodically review and adjust the organizational plan for nursing service personnel to accommodate changes that are necessary and in alignment with budgetary guidelines.
18. Implement succession plan for Nursing Department Leadership positions.
19. Responsible for development and adherence to for the nursing budget. Recommend required supplies and capital expenditures. Assess supply and equipment needs for nursing department and assure that units are adequately stocked and maintained.
20. Project staffing/equipment/training needs based on changes in resident population and regulations.
21. Regularly inspects facility care environments and assesses/observes Nursing Department practices for compliance with federal, state and local standards and regulations, in order to ensure that industry best practices are being utilized. Manages the Annual State Health Survey process and complaint investigations and prepares staff/facility practices, in order to ensure success with same.
22. Conducts the evaluation and coordination of contract services (medical care, pharmacy, laboratory, and rehabilitative services).
23. In the absence of the Administrator, responsible for management of the entire facility.
24. May perform other varied duties/assignments per facility needs.
1. Valid licensure as a registered nurse in the State of Wisconsin. Minimum of five years of nursing practice in long term care and/or post-acute care experience is highly preferred.
2. Executive nursing management, supervisory experience, and proven leadership in a health care setting of five years or greater.
3. Knowledgeable of nursing and medical practices and procedures, as well as laws, regulations and guidelines pertaining to nursing home operation in the State of Wisconsin.
4. Knowledge of Minimum Data Set (MDS) Assessment and responsible for the coordination and completion of the assessment process.
5. Bachelor of Science in Nursing highly desired. MSN preferred.
6. CPR certified or within three months of employment. Certified CPR trainer desirable.
7. Ability to deal professionally with personnel, residents, family members, visitors, governmental agencies/personnel and the general public.
8. Ability to, organize, develop, implement and interpret the programs, goals, objectives, policies and procedures, that are necessary for providing quality resident care.
9. Must be self-motivated, with established organizational skills.
10. Must have demonstrated strong leadership qualities and conflict-resolution skills.
11. Ability to serve as a role model by recognizing and meeting the needs of the residents, families, and staff members.
Applications will be accepted until position is filled.