Flexible day/evening/weekend hours based upon the needs of the college
Lakeshore Technical College – Cleveland, Wisconsin
Provide leadership in the strategic engagement and alignment of benefits and hiring practices in achieving the mission, vision, values, and strategic priorities of the College. In addition, this position will research, evaluate, and advise the Executive Director of Human Resources on employee benefits and recruitment related matters. Provide innovative, cost effective strategies, and ensure compliance with applicable laws and regulations. This position will be responsible for the supervision of four staff members.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities include the following. Other duties may be assigned.
(60%) Benefits Administration
• Design and implement health and wellness and compensation benefits and pay practices that attract and retain top talent.
• Confer with consultants, insurance carriers, actuaries, and other partners to align initiatives with best practices and needs.
• Monitor and evaluate the College’s insurance programs (i.e. medical, dental, vision, life, and long-term disability).
• Develop training and multiple communication strategies to keep employees informed on their benefits, compensation and pay practices.
• Orient new employees to their benefits and compensation including applicable paperwork.
• Serve as a liaison with insurance claims administrator, carriers, and other agencies.
• Answer questions and problem solve insurance claim issues from employees.
• Create reports and monitor benefit information, costings, and other analyses.
• Respond to inquiries and requests for information, compile data and reports as required.
• Run queries and Cognos reports as they relate to compensation and benefits.
• Coordinate the Affordable Care Act (ACA) compliance requirements, including the preparation and review of 1095Cs. Create new compliance checklists.
• Enroll employees and families in elected benefits. Maintain accurate enrollment within the applicable benefits websites.
• Be the active voting member and participant on the WTCEBC (Wisconsin Technical College Employee Benefit Consortium).
• Participate on related RFPs (Request For Proposals) for the College and through the WTCEBC.
• Provide data and reports to the Wisconsin Technical College System (WTCS) and WTCEBC.
• Prepare and conduct Annual Open Enrollment for all eligible employees (Update benefit guide, forms, communications, etc.).
• Implement and manage the benefit platform.
• Complete journal entries and reconciliations for applicable benefits monthly.
• Responsible for the reporting of part-time staff hours to ensure ACA compliance.
(20%) LTC Employee On and Off boarding
• Collaborate with the Teaching and Learning Center on new employee orientation and onboarding.
• Oversee job postings and recruitment while working collaboratively with hiring managers.
• Oversee and monitor interview processes to train hiring managers and members of search committees.
• Oversee the screening of applications based on required qualifications, including background checks.
• Oversee and direct the coordination of applicant inquiries regarding postings, interviewing, and other employment matters.
• Manage the employee separation process and conduct exit interviews as requested.
(10%) HR Office Operations
• Manage daily operations of the Human Resource office.
• Manage and support college recruitment efforts.
• Assist with providing benefit information for rates and employees for the personal services budget process.
• Develop and document processes and procedures and ensure compliance with applicable laws.
• Annually prepare and reconcile worker’s compensation audit.
• Communicate with employees regarding retirement benefits and options.
• Keep current in the occupational field to include new developments in concepts, practices, and regulations.
• Serve as the back up to the Executive Director of Human Resources.
• Ensure compliance with all reporting requirements with all relevant government rules and regulations.
• Implement systems and processes to continuously improve office operations.
• Provide an exceptional customer service experience to both internal and external customers throughout every interaction.
(10%) Manager Essential Responsibilities
Provide supervision to and responsible for the overall direction, coordination, and evaluation of the College and Occupational Health Nurse, Human Resources Specialist, Recruitment and HR Specialist, and HR Assistant. Support wellness initiatives and communication strategies. Responsibilities include design position responsibilities, interview, hire, and train employees; plan, assign, and direct work; supervise, mentor, and develop staff through the Grow Plan Support (GPS); reward and discipline employees. Carry out managerial responsibilities in accordance with the organization’s policies and applicable laws to include:
o Develop plan(s) and budget for department.
o Address staff and student issues in an effective and timely manner.
o Be an active advocate for LTC in the community.
o Be active in the college by serving on committees.
o Teach classes, as requested, based on course-identified qualifications.
To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skill, and/or ability required. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
Education, Experience and/or Certificates, Licenses, Registration:
Bachelor's degree in Human Resources with an emphasis in compensation and benefits or related discipline. Five to seven years of recent related experience. Prefer an accounting background and certification as a PHR, SPHR, or GPHR. Master’s degree preferred.
Other Skills and Abilities:
Human relations, listening, written, and oral communication, customer service, problem solving, team meeting management, and speaking skills required. Organizational, planning, prioritizing, goal setting skills, implementation, monitoring, feedback, follow-up and meeting time lines. Use logic and reason to identify the strengths and weaknesses of alternative solutions, conclusions or approaches to problems. Function with initiative, flexibility, and creativity in a fast paced environment. Ability to work independently as well as within a team structure. Handle sensitive and confidential situations/information in a positive and proactive manner.
Establish and maintain collaborative relationships with administration, faculty and staff. Develop relationships and work collaboratively with other WTCS colleges. Ability to communicate effectively, both in writing and orally, and give presentations to large groups. Exemplify college values in all staff and student interactions as well as services delivered. Ability to establish and maintain effective working relationships and relate successfully with staff, students, and people of diverse cultural, social or educational backgrounds. Fluent, bilingual individual is beneficial.
Ability to read, analyze, and interpret general business periodicals, professional journals, technical procedures, or governmental regulations. Ability to write reports, business correspondence, and procedure manuals. Ability to effectively present information and respond to questions from groups of managers, clients, customers, and the general public.
Ability to calculate figures and amounts such as discounts, interest, commissions, proportions, percentages, area, circumference, and volume. Ability to apply concepts of basic algebra and geometry. Ability to work with mathematical concepts such as probability and statistical inference, and fundamentals of plane and solid geometry and trigonometry. Ability to apply concepts such as fractions, percentages, ratios, and proportions to practical situations.
Ability to define problems, collect data, establish facts, and draw valid conclusions. Ability to interpret an extensive variety of technical instructions in mathematical or diagram form and deal with several abstract and concrete variables.
Beginner Level Skills: Must be able to use and maintain voice mail. Use and maintain a personal electronic calendar and schedule meetings. Access college network system. Navigate through Windows. Use file manager and network file manager. Access and use email to communicate. Access a bulletin board. Send and receive attachments. Navigate through the Internet.
Intermediate Level Skills: Understand database concepts. Create spreadsheets/graphics. Use database queries and manage Access databases. Working knowledge of MS Word to include creating documents, reports, charts, and graphs. Use of PowerPoint or similar presentation software. Manage MS Word files. Access and use project management systems.
Advanced computer application and software knowledge including HRIS database/information systems (PeopleSoft preferred), report-writing tools (Queries, Cognos reports, etc.) and spreadsheets.
Physical Demands/Work Environment:
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
While performing the duties of this job, the employee is regularly required to stand, walk, sit, and talk or hear. The employee is occasionally required to use hands to finger, handle, or feel; reach with hands and arms; and stoop, kneel, crouch, or crawl. The employee must occasionally lift and/or move up to 50 pounds. Specific vision abilities required by this job include close vision, distance vision, color vision, peripheral vision, depth perception, and ability to adjust focus.
The work environment characteristics described here are representative of those an employee encounters while performing the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
The noise level in the work environment is usually moderate. Must be able to work with frequent interruptions.
The above duties describe the chief functions of the job and are not to be considered a detailed description of every duty of the job.
Condition of Employment:
Date Updated: 08/02/2022
Type of Position: Full Time Position