30 hours per week January through December
Summary: The Special Events Coordinator carries out responsibilities in the administration, organization and implementation of event management. S/he works to support all revenue-generating events, which include but are not limited to: the Secret Garden Dinner Series, annual gala, adults-only special events, family festivals, Happily Haunted Gardens, adult classes and workshops, and the member appreciation event.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities include the following. Other duties as assigned.
- Plan, organize, implement, and evaluate events. This includes:
- Coordinate component details as needed from all departments: Administration, Education, and Garden & Facilities
- Request and adhere to a budget for each event
- Complete facilities technical requests
- Update event calendars
- Complete volunteer needs request
- Work the day of the events overseeing all aspects of the event
- Effectively communicate with others
- High school education is required; a college degree is preferred.
- Customer service experience and administrative and organizational skills are essential; special events experience is desirable.
- The Special Events Coordinator may be asked to obtain a bartending license if not currently licensed.
- Ability to work flexible hours including weekends and evenings (scheduled in advance)
- Ability to be punctual as well as dependable for each event
- Highly organized
- Able to anticipate client, vendor, and staff needs
- Must be willing to complete a wide variety of tasks, especially where special events are concerned (i.e. cleaning up trash, hauling supplies, installing parking meter covers, placing linens, washing dishes, etc.)
- Must be prepared to work extensive shifts and numerous days in a row in preparation for or during special events
- Multitasking is a key element to being successful in this position
- Must have the ability to remain calm in very high-pressure situations
- Pre-planning and communication with all departments
- Able to coordinate all aspects of several events simultaneously
- The position requires the ability to stand, sit, reach, stoop, kneel, and lift and carry weight up to 25lbs. It also requires work in all outdoor weather conditions.