About YMCA Camp Y-Koda and the Maywood Site
Camp Y-Koda is an 80 acre camp located just west of Sheboygan Falls bordered by the Sheboygan River to the north and east. The camp was founded in 1969 by the Sheboygan County YMCA and has been offering summer camp experiences ever since. Camp Y-Koda features a beautiful stretch of the Sheboygan River for canoeing, kayaking, tubing and nature studies. The property has a low and high ropes course complete with a zip line and forty foot climbing wall.
Maywood campers spend majority of their day immersed in Maywood Environmental Park's diverse habitats, learning and playing. We take every day to explore the outdoors, fostering a connection to nature. Maywood is a beautiful 135 acre environmental park where habitat diversity abounds. Prairie, maple forest, wetland, ponds and the Pigeon River provide a haven for wildlife. A stunning nature center features exhibits, program space and laboratories which serve to enhance the experiences and discoveries made while outdoors. The park also has many miles of trails for hiking, skiing and snowshoeing.
Are you looking for a summer job that truly impacts somebody's life? Join our 2020 Summer Camp Team at our Maywood site. The Maywood Summer Camp Counselor serves as a leader and is responsible for the implementation of camp programs. The counselor will be a positive role model while providing safe, fun-filled and enriching experiences for all campers. The counselor works with a new group each week for day camps, early childhood camps or specialty camps, which can be found in our Summer Camp Brochure.
Please visit our website's "Employment" page to find our online application form.
- Mondays - Fridays 8:00am-4:30pm, July 6, 2020 - August 21, 2020
- Weekly Thursday Overnight, which begins in the afternoon and into Friday's schedule.
- Occasional weekly duties ending at 5:30pm.
Experience, Education and Qualifications
- Minimum of 18 years of age or older.
- Must withhold a high school diploma or GED
- Current First Aid, CPR, AED and Life guarding certification. These are obtainable through camp after successfully completing the pre-skills life guarding test.
- Must posses youth leadership experience, excellent verbal and written communication skills, a cooperative attitude and the ability to work with and understand the needs of children.
- Ability to relate and communicate effectively to diverse groups of people from all social and economic segments of the community.
- Must be able to work in all weather conditions such as rain or 70-90 degree weather.
- Must have the physical ability to lead and participate in camp activities which include, but not limited to: row boating, lawn games, building campfires, swimming, team building exercises, physical games and activities.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities
- Participate in staff training, meetings, all overnights, camp activities, fund raisers and promotions.
- Must be able to work outdoors in a variety of weather conditions.
- Increase camper's understanding of the natural environment and their responsibility to it. Encourage respect of personal property, camp equipment and facilities.
- Lead, teach and implement curriculum and activities designed by the camp directors.
- Provide skilled and supervised personal instruction to campers in all areas, such as directing songs, skits, stories, sports, games and activities.
- Follow pool opening and closing procedures as stated in the YMCA Staff Manual and Lifeguard Certification Course. Remain on duty until relieved by another certified lifeguard. Ensure all doors and gates are locked and secured when closing the pool.
- Know and follow correct camp procedures, including those for bus, extended care and overnights.
- Participate enthusiastically in all camp activities and motivate campers to participate in programs to their greatest ability.
- And more..
For more questions on this position, please contact Kaitlyn at firstname.lastname@example.org or the Maywood Summer Camp Director, Mackinzi, at email@example.com.
**We are a licensed day camp with the Wisconsin Department of Children and Families, therefore our camp does not provide room and board or transportation to and from camp each day for staff members.