Camp Y-Koda is an 80 acre camp located just west of Sheboygan Falls bordered by the Sheboygan River to the north and east. The camp was founded in 1969 by the Sheboygan County YMCA and has been offering summer camp experiences ever since. Camp Y-Koda features a beautiful stretch of the Sheboygan River for canoeing, kayaking, tubing and nature studies. The property has a low and high ropes course complete with a zip line and forty foot climbing wall.
Camp Y-Koda also features a swimming pool, four acre lake, bb gun and archery ranges, basketball and volleyball courts, playground, soccer field and more! There are two lodges at camp and four campsites including cabins.
The Summer Camp Counselor serves as a leader, role model, educator, and counselor for approximately 12-18 campers (ages 4-16) and participates in the planning and implementation of camp programs. The counselor works with a new group each week for day camps, early childhood camps or specialty camps, which can be found in our Summer Camp Brochure.
- Mondays - Fridays with Full-time like hours
- June 14-August 27, 2021
Experience, Education and Qualifications
- Minimum of 18 years of age or older.
- Must have a high school diploma or GED
- Current First Aid, CPR, AED and Life guarding certification. These are obtainable through camp after successfully completing the pre-skills life guarding test.
- Must posses youth leadership experience, excellent verbal and written communication skills, a cooperative attitude and the ability to work with and understand the needs of children.
- Ability to relate and communicate effectively to diverse groups of people from all social and economic segments of the community.
- Must be able to work in all weather conditions such as rain or 70-90 degree weather.
- Must have the physical ability to lead and participate in camp activities which include, but not limited to: row boating, lawn games, building campfires, swimming, team building exercises, physical games and activities.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities
- Participate in staff training, meetings, all family programs and overnights, camp activities, fund raisers and promotions.
- Mentor and help guide Assistant Counselors/volunteers to have a deeper understanding of leadership and counseling skills.
- Increase camper's understanding of the natural environment and their responsibility to it. Encourage respect of personal property, camp equipment and facilities.
- Lead, teach and implement curriculum and activities designed by the camp directors.
- Provide skilled and supervised personal instruction to campers in all areas, such as directing songs, skits, stories, sports, games and activities.
- Follow pool opening and closing procedures as stated in the YMCA Staff Manual and Lifeguard Certification Course. Remain on duty until relieved by another certified lifeguard. Ensure all doors and gates are locked and secured when closing the pool.
- Know and follow correct camp procedures, including those for bus, extended care and overnights.
- Participate enthusiastically in all camp activities and motivate campers to participate in programs to their greatest ability.
- And more..
**Our summer camp program is a licensed day camp, therefore Camp Y-Koda and the YMCA does not provide room & board, and transportation to/from work each day.
Job Type: Full-time like hours Monday-Fridays
Pay: $1,400 per month